Basically: bouncing boobs, breached bodices, bonking, beauty, blondes, brunettes, betrayal, backstabbing, blood bonds, bastard babies, beheading, Bana, Boleyn. Bogstandard historical “fact”/fiction that skips superficially over and through major historical events rapidly, particuarly towards the end, in favour of a focus on lust and madness. The supporting cast appear predominantly British, such as the colourfully named Sherlock Benedict Cumberbatch, but Hollywood starlets from overseas are favoured for the key roles, with an Australian playing the English King and prim performances from Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johanasson as the sisters. In many ways a two-dimensional affront to historical storytelling, this film is however ultimately watchable due to most of it resembling a Tudor version of those sexy M and S ads, such is the brilliant beauty of the period detail and exquisite human forms of the cast. This isn’t just a Royal sex scandal, it’s Scarlett Johansson moaning with ecstascy as Bana’s buff Henry the Eighth towers over her, expressing his divine power as monarch in glorious slow-mo. This isn’t just sisterly rivalry, but a catfight between Portman’s manipulative, manicured and manufactured British tones and Johansson’s saintly gasps of disbelief, with the prizes of religion, state, power and wealth at stake. Meet the original, surprisingly well-to-do, respectful and ambitious footballer’s wives.
Join 360 other subscribers
Error: Please make sure the Twitter account is public.
- Blog Critics A great source of news, opinions and reviews. I am a registered contributor to the TV/film, books and politics sections
- CaughtOffside The Best Football Site Around – with occassional contributions from yours truly
- Demo Critic An interesting, impartial site providing an outlet for political opinion, containing numerous articles from little old me
- Empire Magazine The latest movie news before you can say “shit the bed”
- Flickering Myth An excellent movie blog containing reviews, opinion and articles and regular contributions from myself
- The Dark of the Matinee A fantastic movie blog full of reviews and spot on opinion
- The Guardian Quite simply the best source of news and opinion out there
- The Incredible Suit Evil mastermind behind BlogalongaBond and destroyer of crap films
- TomCat in the Red Room The home of superb and funny book reviews. The place to go for a good read
- UltraCulture A scathingly accurate take on the cinema’s latest releases that always brings a smile to my face
- Whereareyoutony Youtube Videos created by me in ancient times